Who must register a UAS?
The owner must be:
- 13 years of age or older. (If the owner is less than 13 years of age, a person 13 years of age or older must register the small unmanned aircraft.)
- A U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident.
Which unmanned aircraft do I have to register?
Owners must register their UAS online if it meets the following guidelines:
- Weighs more than 0.55 lbs. (250 g) and less than 55 lbs. (25 kg). Unmanned Aircraft weighing more than 55 lbs. cannot use this registration process and must register using the Aircraft Registry process.
Owners must register their UAS by paper if it meets the following guidelines:
- Your aircraft is used for commercial purposes.
- Your aircraft is used for other than hobby and recreation.
- Your aircraft is greater than 55 lbs.
- You intend to operate your aircraft outside of the United States.
How do I register my UAS?
It costs only $5 to register your UAS and the process is simple and web-based. Registration is free for the first 30 days. Some things you'll need before you get started:
- An email address
- Credit or Debit card
- Physical address and mailing address (if different from physical address)
Your registration is valid for three years. Once you receive a registration number, you can use it on all of your unmanned aircraft if they meet the online registration criteria. You must mark the registration number on all aircraft you own. Read about How to Label Your UAS (PDF).